[omniORB] Network performance

Default User defaultuserbr at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 21:42:57 GMT 2007

--- Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:

> On Friday 9 November, Default User wrote:
>
> > > I assume both cases (local and remote) were worse than omni but
> less
> > > delta between them?
> >
> > Actually, no. The box-to-box tests had gSOAP beating omniorb.

> I'd be very surprised if omniORB is slower than a SOAP
> implementation,
> since SOAP just has a lot more work to do to generate and parse XML
> messages, and the messages are much larger.

I wasn't expecting it either, and in co-located tests Omniorb was
faster. I expected both to degrade about the same in the box-to-box
tests, with a bit of network latency added. That wasn't the case.
I need to present the results soon, and I want to make sure that
I have accurate findings.

> Can you post some more details about what your test is actually
> doing?
> How much data are you sending in each call?  What kind of data is it?
> Are you just doing simple calls, or something more exotic with
> callbacks or something?

Basically we devised IDL and WSDL documents that tried to be as
similar as possible. There were a variety of tests, most that
were just passing data via the parameters, with an integer return.

We had ones for passing arrays of integers or doubles, strings,
and a complex structure.

We'd then run in a tight loop calling the particular function
in the server repeatedly. The handler in the server didn't do
anything except immediately return. I can't give you any specifics
because I won't be back into the office until Monday.

> What kind of absolute times do you get for your calls?

Off the top of my head (again the stuff is at work) it was coming out
to be something like .25 seconds to execute the 10000 calls for
small amounts of data when co-located. It would go to up 2.5 seconds
for the same data when going over the network.

As a data point, ping on "localhost" took about 10x as long as
well.

I can give you more specifics, like exact IDL and example code
either tomorrow or Monday.