[omniORB] Sequence in Any marshalling failure

Franzen, Holger holger at k681.cc
Sat May 26 17:55:06 BST 2007

Hi everybody,

I encountered an marshalling failure for sequences of my XMLData type
passed in an CORBA::Any container.

The method call failes with exception minor code:
MARSHAL_PassEndOfMessage

omniORB: throw MARSHAL from GIOP_C.cc:276 (NO,MARSHAL_PassEndOfMessage)

Both client and servant use the same idl. I appended the XMLData.idl and
the traces and logs of client and servant. I'm using omniORB-4.1.0.

Here is an snippet of the testcase i implemented:

[XMLDataSeqAnyTestCase.idl]
module zoa {
 interface XMLDataSeqAnyTestCase {
  void callWithAny(in Any data)
   raises(Exception);
 };
};

[XMLDataSeqAnyTestCaseImpl.cc]
void zoa::XMLDataSeqAnyTestCaseImpl::callWithAny(const CORBA::Any &data)
 throw(Exception, CORBA::SystemException)
{
 // nothing: won't get called for Any with XMLDataSeq
}

[XMLDataSeqAnyTestCaseCallee.cc]
 // our dummy xmldata element
 // no attributes no children but does not matter either
 XMLData dummy;
 dummy.type = XMLDATA_ELEMENT_NODE;
 dummy.name = CORBA::string_dup("myname");
 dummy.value = CORBA::string_dup("myvalue");

 // create xmldatasequence and fill with dummy
 // element
 XMLDataSeq_var dataSeq = new XMLDataSeq();
 dataSeq->length(4);
 dataSeq.inout()[0] = dummy;
 dataSeq.inout()[1] = dummy;
 dataSeq.inout()[2] = dummy;
 dataSeq.inout()[3] = dummy;

 // set into any
 CORBA::Any any;
 any <<= dataSeq.in();

 // EnvironmentAnyTestCase_var testCase
 // alwayse failes with MARSHAL_PassEndOfMessage
 testCase->callWithAny(any);
 //just an XMLData element test
 CORBA::Any any2;
 any2 <<= dummy;

 // runs and data can be retrieved at the servant
 testCase->callWithAny(any2);

I'm a little bit lost - any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
 Holger.

Holger Franzen
holger at k681.cc