[omniORB] omniNames won't start

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jun 1 14:01:30 BST 2007

On Tuesday 29 May, "Tom O'Reilly" wrote:

> It seems that the error described below is connected to omniORB ipv6
> support. I rebuilt and installed omniORB 4.1.0, after running
> 'configure' with the '--disable-ipv6' argument. Now 'omniNames -start'
> runs without apparent error.
>
> Is there some other way to solve this without disabling ipv6?

The issue is that your machine's libraries know about IPv6 but your
kernel doesn't, meaning that the configure script enables IPv6 support,
but it doesn't work. The best thing is to build without IPv6 support as
you have done.

You can force a server to only listen on IPv4 with an endPoint
specification of giop:tcp:0.0.0.0: . omniNames normally adds its own
endPoint specification, so you have to override that. You can run it
like this:

  omniNames -start -ignoreport -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:0.0.0.0:2809

It's probably better to build omniORB without IPv6 though, otherwise
you'll have to do something similar for all servers.