[omniORB] omniORB 4.1.0 on Altix/SLES 10 "Cannot create worker for endpoint" error

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jul 20 15:04:58 BST 2007

On Wednesday 18 July, "Nelson, Howard C" wrote:

[...]
> I am porting a CORBA application from MIPS/Irix 6.5 (using omniORB
> 4.0.4) to SGI Altix/SuSE Linux 10 (using omniORB 4.1.0).  I have
> successively built omniORB 4.1.0 on the Altix/SLES 10 machine and
> re-compiled/re-linked the application.  omniNames comes up and runs
> fine.  When I run the application as the root user, the application
> connects with the name service successively and the application runs
> properly.  However, when I start the application as a non-root user, I
> get the following error:
>
> omniORB: Cannot create a worker for this endpoint:
> giop:tcp:[::ffff:127.0.0.1]:2809 from giop:tcp:[::ffff:127.0.0.1]:36433

That is a knock-on effect of the previous problem:

> omniORB: Exception trying to start new thread.

For some reason, as a non-root user you can't start a thread to service
the incoming connection. Perhaps you have a very small limited number of
threads a normal user can create?

Try making a simple program that uses omni_thread to create some threads
and see if it works. You could try the diner example in
src/examples/thread to see if that works.

> After reading the FAQ, I removed the 127.0.0.1 entry in the /etc/hosts
> file, but get the same error even when the IP address is used.

That's ancient history. There's no longer any need to do that.