[omniORB] Localhost endpoint: 3.0.4 vs 4.1.0

Luke Deller ldeller at iress.com.au
Fri Jul 20 10:36:08 BST 2007

Hi Mike,

Mike Richmond wrote:

> We've recently moved a product from omniORB 3.0.4 to omniORB 4.1.0
> and are observing a change in behaviour.
>
> With 3.0.4 we initialised the orb with "-ORBpoa_iiop_name_port
> localhost:1234".  Using a port scanning utility we can see port 1234
> is open on addresses 0.0.0.0, 127.0.0.1 and the machine's IP address
> (say 172.1.2.3).
>
> With 4.1.0 we initialise the orb with "endpoint
> giop:tcp:localhost:1234".  We now see that port 1234 is open on
> addresses 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1, but not on 172.1.2.3.  Is this
> expected behaviour?  Do we need a second endPoint  to specify
> 172.1.2.3?  Or should we be using "giop:tcp::1234", which seems to
> give the 3.0.4 behaviour?

I think that "-ORBpoa_iiop_name_port" only affects the IP/hostname published in object references (IORs), not the IP address which omniORB listens on.

You could get the same behaviour in omniORB 4.1.0 using the "endPointPublish" option.

The behaviour you describe for "endpoint giop:tcp:localhost:1234" sounds correct: that option tells omniORB to listen only on 127.0.0.1, which is why you can't connect using the other IP address.

(I see that you're also trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 which is quite unusual. That will connect to a server listening on any IP address belonging to your computer).

Luke.
Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of IRESS Market Technology Limited.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the information provided before loading onto any computer system.
IRESS Market Technology Limited does not warrant that the information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.