[omniORB] OmniORB Streams

Dirk O. Siebnich dok at dok-net.net
Wed Jul 11 12:04:08 BST 2007

> Hi,
> I've a short question about your experience with "Streams for CCM".
> I'm a student and have to write a program for exchanging audio streams.
> Are there any implementations of streams in OmniORB? Have you already
> worked with it, or can you tell me if this is working well?
> I'd be very pleased about your positive answers.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Helge Ahrens

Hi Helge!

As you probably know, omniORB doesn't provide a CCM implementation.
When I needed support for CORBA components 4 years ago, I was stuck
between using an ORB I had made less favorable experiences with than
with omniORB, or implementing CCM for omniORB myself. I stuck to the
latter approach, with great success. The software is licensed under the
GPL with exceptions for commercial deployment, but is not in use
outside of the company I was working for at the time yet. Supported
platforms include Linux, MS Windows (native and .NET), and VxWorks.
Should someone in the omniORB community be interested in using, and in
the process providing fixes and extensions to, the component software,
I would be very interested in hearing from you on the mailing list or
in a personal message.

Now, as for your specific question about streams, again, omniORB does
not support the CCM. But, omniORB was extended in version 4.1 to
support a high-performance call model, that is intended to provide
something similar to streaming in the component software. The feature
is stable and reliable, but has not yet been used in any product, so as
far as the component software is concerned, there is the possibility to
implement a more feature-rich streaming abstraction if it is useful for
a broad category of applications.

I order to put an end to my plug for the component software, let me
point you to the bare messaging extension in omniORB: inside the
omniORB 4.1 source tree, check the README.txt in
src/lib/omniORB/connections. If it all doesn't make any sense, please
be assured that it is extremely easy to use in conjunction with the
component software :-)

-Dirk