[omniORB] fixed-length structs

Sean Parker supinlick at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 18:08:08 BST 2007

Hello -

  I've encountered an issue simply because I'm trying to
use a struct for the first that is "fixed length" (i.e.
it's a series of longs, w/o a string in it)

  For example, I define a struct:

[Begin IDL]
  struct DateTime
  {
    long year;
    long seconds;
  };
[End IDL]

  This results in C++ template using the *_Fix_* class (I
forget the exact name) as opposed to the *_Variable_*
template class if the struct had a string in it.

[Begin C++]
  DateTime* get( <stuff> )
  {
    DateTime_var ret = new DateTime();
    ret->year = 2007;
    ret->seconds = 0;
    return ret._retn();
  }
[End C++]

  Now the compile complains "can't convert DateTime to
DateTime* in return" on return line.

 I never had this problem when the template class was for
variable-length structs. Am I doing something wrong?

 Any assistance appreciated.

  Thanks and God Bless
    Sean

God Bless