[omniORB] Marshall exception -- message size limit exceeded

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Tue Jan 30 13:00:17 GMT 2007

Henrique wrote:

> On the client, side a COMM_FAILURE exception will happen. However, the
> minor code does not indicate MARSHAL_MessageSizeExceedLimit (it
indicates
> COMM_FAILURE_WaitingForReply instead). So the client does not know why
the
> failure occurred either -- that is that the response is larger than
what
> can be handled.

I see the following comment in src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/giopImpl12.cc, in
the function giopImpl12::sendSystemException

    // This system exception is raised during the marshalling of the
reply.
    // We cannot marshal the exception. Can only indicate that something
    // fatal about this request.

I suppose it makes sense that the server can't change its mind half way
through sending a response.   It should be possible to calculate the
size of a response *before* starting to send it, but that might be
expensive.

Here's a question of my own:
Why does omniORB limit the size of outgoing messages anyway?  I can
understand limiting the size of incoming messages, but for outgoing
messages the application code is in a position to decide for itself
whether to send a certain client call or server reply, right?

Luke.
Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.