FW: [omniORB] omniArchive: corba recording/playback tool

Mark Janes markjanes at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 24 10:19:18 GMT 2007

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking a look at the tool, I appreciate your comments.

I will read the instructions on releasing the project, and I will also
put some information on the wiki.

Regarding Python, I'm afraid it's a necessary component.  There are
a couple aspects that involve Python:

  * Python is needed to run omniidl, and omniArchive is based on the
    users idl files.  Is there a way to develop omniORB applications
    without a Python installation?

  * I leveraged the gnosis framework, written in Python, to handle the
    xml serialization of the corba objects in the call parameters.  I
    imagine there are some serialization tools for c++, but it is at a
    big disadvantage due to its strong type safety.  Gnosis is perfect
    because it uses xml, which is readable and modifiable, an important
    feature for unit test.  I'll look around to see if a similar
    implementation can be done in c++.

My mail/documentation might not have been clear about the c++
functionality.  OmniArchive is implemented via omniORBPy, but it will
record client and server interactions between c++ or java omniORB
applications.

If you have Python and omniORBPy installed, omniArchive should be able
to record and playback any omni interface.

Thanks again for your valuable advice!

-Mark