[omniORB] omniArchive: corba recording/playback tool

OKeeffe, Michael K MOKEEFFE at amfam.com
Tue Jan 23 09:14:17 GMT 2007

>Hello,

[snip]

>I still have some work to do refining the code; it implements a
>subscriber/publisher feature which is particular to our
>interfaces, and
>it needs a general code cleanup.  I also need to create some generic
>examples for it, and create a distribution tarball.
>
>You can take a look at what I currently have at:
>
>http://omniarchive.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/omniarchive/trunk/
>
>the omniidl backend is src/omniArchive.py
>
>the executable that runs the generated classes is bin/omniArchive
>
>I would appreciate your feedback:
>
>  * How can I improve this tool?
>  * Is this tool appropriate for inclusion in the omniOrb distribution?
>  * Is there a better way to make this tool available to omniOrb users?

Mark,

This sounds like a good idea.  It sounds like the way I expected
EasyMock (http://www.easymock.org) to work, but it doesn't.  For
EasyMock, there is a record and play feature, but it is only recording
the calls & returns you have faked out, rather than as yours seems to
work.

A few suggestions/requests (caveat: I haven't tried it out)

- The reason I haven't tried it out is that it seems to only work with
Python.  If so, how hard would it be to modify to work in C++?
- There's some good info on releasing an open source project in the CVS
Manual by Karl Fogel and Moshe Bar ( the hard copy edition,  not web
version)
- The instructions are a little limited.  Just a paragraph or so on how
to install and use would be nice.
- I see the Python source, is all source available?
- I'd suggest improving it as you mentioned ( making more generic) since
those items, at least for me, make me think it isn't quite ready yet, so
I'm apt to wait.
- Generic examples would be great.  That's usually the first place I
start, for example along the lines of omniORB's example directory, with
make files, and simple but complete set of code for the example.
- Code cleanup, etc is no big deal, that won't put people off, in my
opinion, every software could always use that.
- Tarball can also wait -  some of us are Windows users, and as long as
there are good instructions, we can figure out how to install.  That's
more of a nice to have.
- For getting it out to people, what about the wiki pages?  Perhaps:
http://www.omniorb-support.com/omniwiki/CorbaServices, or a link?

-Mike