[omniORB] problems registering omniNames

José Felix felixladeia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 16:27:38 GMT 2007

To Duncan and Tuyen an everyone else that read this message, thanks in
advance for the help.
I will now describe the system as you have suggested, to see if there
is a possible solution. Here it comes:
In this application, we have a remote server, one of then running in
the entire network,  and local instances running in every machine.
Each of these instances binds to the CORBA environment a name. Each
machine is supposed to have an interface where it is possible to
control the local or the remote machines. If one wants to control the
local machine, the CORBA interface ( or a program that uses omniORB
api or similar stuff ) should ( in an ideal situation ) take the
object whose name we tried to get from the local machine, and use a
"local omninames" , that is the instance of omninames whose objects
are from the local machine. If one wants to access objects located in
a remote machine, the library should recognize this name and retrieve
the object published in the "remote omninames", running in the remote
server.
So, when the local application starts, it has to publish the CORBA
interface in two different environments: a local one ( where is
supposed to be an "local omninames" ) and a remote one (where is
supposed to exist an "remote omninames", or a instance of omninames
that contains the objects published to be accessed from remote
machines)

Had I make myself clear about how this system works? I hope so.

The great difficulty I found is : how to develop a program whith
omniORB that takes a name from the "user", recognize it as a local or
remote name, and retrieve the object whose name is associated to, if
we have two servers (a local and a remote) ? How to switch between
servers this way?

Thank you very much.

Félix Ladeia Rodrigues - Electric engineer
University of São Paulo
Escola Politécnica de São Paulo

Digital Television Laboratory

São Paulo - Brasil