[omniORB] Problems registering names in omniORB

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Sun Jan 14 14:13:06 GMT 2007

On Thursday 11 January, "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Felix?=" wrote:

> I neeed some instruction about the implementation of omniORB 4.0. In
> this project we use Windows and Visual Studio C++ Express.
> If the server where omniNames.exe is running gets down, the
> application must not stop. We have to find a way of having the server
> replicated locally in each machine, or to make the components
> registered in the environment that stop be able to register in a local
> environment.
> OmniORB doesn't seen to let this happen. Once we bind the object to a
> certain name in the CORBA environment, even changing the server name
> in the windows registry doesn't work to change the server while the
> application is running. We have to restart the application for this
> strategy to work.
> Alternatively, I have read somewhere that IMR could help me doing
> similar stuff, but I don't find much information about it. Can
> somebody help me?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking. What precisely do you
want to happen?  omniNames is just a simple CORBA server, just like any
other CORBA server you might write. It is not a fundamental part of
running a CORBA system.

Perhaps you could explain the structure of your application so we can
understand what you want to achieve.