[omniORB] omniORBpy + wxPython; omniORBpy + Twisted

Stephen Hansen apt.shansen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 00:26:50 GMT 2007

> I am looking for something similar for omniORBpy, although it could run
> in a thread other than the GUI event loop.
>
> Alternatively, please provide a pointer to how to interface omniORBpy to
> Twisted, i.e. send data from a CORBA client to the omniORBpy to the
> Twisted framework to a Twisted server faithfully.

I'm not sure what you're asking, exactly.

You don't have to do anything special to use omniORBpy with anything. You
don't actually have to ever run "orb.run()" and enter an event loop to use
it; all you have to do is register servants with a POA, and use
poa._get_the_POAManager().activate(). Unlike twisted, there's no separate
event loop to maintain and integrate at all.

omniORB automatically runs in any number of threads seamlessly with no
effort required from you. It handles connections, spawns threads, and does
everything itself internally.

The only thing you have to worry about is having code instigated from
omniORB interacting with the GUI. In this case, you use "wx.CallAfter" to
control the GUI and send changes to it.

So if you get a chunk of data in a CORBA object and want it to trigger a
change in your GUI, you "wx.CallAfter(self.control,argument)" instead of "
self.control(argument)" and the GUI will process it.

I can give more specific details, as we use omniORB and wxPython extensively
... but need more specific questions.

--Stephen