[omniORB] Multiple Interface Selection and omniNames

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Dec 6 12:11:42 GMT 2007

On Thursday 6 December, "Wernke zur Borg" wrote:

> > "ignoreport" is the key
> >
> > Christian Hansen wrote:
> > > I would like to know how to configure omniNames to properly run on a
> > > machine with 2+ network interfaces.
>
> I am not sure why -ignoreport should be required to get the desired
> behaviour. To my understanding -ORBendPoint should be sufficient. Why
> would the additional listening on the default port do any harm?

Without the -ignoreport, omniNames uses the port specification from the
command line or omniNames redo log to add its own -ORBendPoint argument
to the command line. It adds it at the start of the arguments, so it
takes precedence over the one you add yourself. By default, only the
first endpoint is published in IORs, meaning the one that gets published
is the wrong one.

With omniORB 4.1, the best way to get omniNames to publish the address
you want is to use -ORBendPointPublish giop:tcp:hostname:2809 since that
allows it to listen on all network interfaces as usual, but publish the
specific address you want.