[omniORB] clarify url resolution

Jason Stelzer jstelzer at healthmarketscience.com
Thu Aug 16 17:03:11 BST 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Jason Stelzer wrote:

> I'm working wth looking up/using remote objects. One of the first
> things I need to do is lookup the remote name service. After that I
> lookup remote objects to use.
> I can lookup remote objects via IOR urls, but not corbaloc urls
> (which I would prefer as they're more readable).
>
> CosNaming::NamingContext_var _nc;
> CORBA::Object_var nsobj =   _orb->string_to_object(namingUrl);
> _nc = CosNaming::NamingContext::_narrow(nsobj);
>
> This works if namingUrl = "IOR:000......"
> However if namingUrl  = "corbaloc:iiop:1.2 at hostname:3528/JBoss/
> Naming/remote" I get an OBJECT_NOT_EXIST exception from corba.
>
> Is my url incorrect? Is this only supported by certain corba
> versions? Should I be calling something different for a url
> formatted like the latter example? Using the IOR url will work, but
> its less than ideal from a human readable perspective.

Sorry for the noise. I turned up the trace level and figured out what
was going on.

In the beginning I was setting InitRef in my orb.conf to be the above
corbaloc:.. url.

However, now I've made it a parameter and I'm looking up the remote
name service so the url needs to be corbaloc:iiop:1.2 at hostname:3528/
NameService

The exception I was seeing was due to me using the wrong name.

--
J.