[omniORB] CORBA call issues

YaKun Wang yakunw at Ripple-Systems.com
Wed Aug 15 11:07:05 BST 2007

Hi

I am working on a large scale closed system (not connected to the internet)
that does not use a DNS; instead it uses preconfigured host files to
minimise the impact of network failures. It is possible that these host
files may become out of sync (although this needs to be managed on the
production system).

I have met a problem where CORBA calls fail transiently. The calls originate
from an IOR-format reference.

I need to find the answers to the following questions so I can implement a
solution:

1.  Is the location information encoded in an IOR a hostname or an IP
address?
2.  When initiating a CORBA call, the _narrow function is used. Are there
any modifications to location information inside IOR by this _narrow
function?
3.  How does CORBA find the location through this IOR-format reference,
looking up DNS to find the IP address or other methods?
4. How can I reduce the occurrence of this CORBA call error?

Regards
Yakun Wang