[omniORB] omniORBpy newbie: returning interface from remote call

gabriele renzi surrender_it at yahoo.it
Thu Apr 12 22:46:02 BST 2007

Hi everyone,

I just started experimenting with omniORBpy today,
everything seemed to be working fine but now I hit a
strange problem. My IDL file looks like this

module PSD {
 interface Calc {
  string myop(in string name,in string other);
 };
 interface CalcFactory {
  Calc client_instance(in string cname);
 };
};
omniidl seems to compile the idl fine, and I can get
the CalcFactory correctly via
 obj= orb.string_to_object(ior)
 cf = obj.narrow(PSD.CalcFactory)

but then if I try to call
calc = cf.client_instance('name')
I get a
CORBA.BAD_PARAM(omniORB.BAD_PARAM_WrongPythonType,
CORBA.COMPLETED_MAYBE) exception.

The code in CalcFactoryImpl, the subclass of the
abstract PSD__POA.CalcFactory is like this:
def client_instance(self,key):
 client=CalcImpl() # PSD__POA.Calc subclass
 return client

Someone has a clue on what I may be doing wrong? Sorry
if I'm posing a dummy question.