[omniORB] C++ client, Java server, both on Linux

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Apr 5 17:56:03 BST 2007

On Thursday 5 April, "Steve Donovan" wrote:

> My client application is happily working with a Java ORB server (1.6)
> on Windows. However, it gets into difficulty if the server is running
> on Linux (FC5).

[...]
> That 'localhost' address causes great confusion, and omniORB will hang
> moreorless forever, trying to speak to itself.

It's nothing to do with omniORB -- the Java naming service is returning
a reference to a naming context with the wrong address in it.

One guess is that /etc/hosts has an entry for your hostname mapping to
127.0.0.1 in it. If the Java naming service is trying to get its IP
address by looking its name up, that could be the source of the problem.
omniORB used to suffer from the same thing before it had code to
directly enumerate network interfaces.