[omniORB] More endPoint questions

Wernke zur Borg wernke.zur.borg at vega.de
Mon Sep 25 17:12:50 BST 2006

> On Thursday 21 September, "Wernke zur Borg" wrote:
>
> [...]
> > 1. When I set multiple endPoint options, can I expect that
> all related
> > endPoints get encoded into the IORs?
>
> Yes.

OK, I have inspected the encoded IORs and I can see that there is a main
host entry in the profile plus a number of ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS
entries encoded as tagged components.

> > 2. If yes, can I expect a client (not necessarily an
> omniORB client) to
> > try each endpoint in turn until he finds the correct one?
>
> All modern CORBA implementations should try them all. Older
> ones may not
> -- omniORB 3 didn't, for example. In omniORB, the order the addresses
> are tried in is determined by the client transport rules.

What I can now say from experience is that the Sun Java ORB does not do
it. It only tries the main host entry in the profile and ignores any
ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS. I currently cannot say if this default behaviour
can be changed easily.

I am now hoping to get away with an interceptor attached to encodeIOR,
which changes the host entry to the one relevant for the respective
client. Not nice but it seems to be the last resort in my case.

Regards, Wernke