[omniORB] (4.1.0beta2) resolve_inital_reference fails

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Sep 1 16:09:09 BST 2006

On Wednesday 30 August, Slawomir Lisznianski wrote:

> I'm trying out the 4.1.0-beta-2 release and I've noticed that under
> some OSes the resolve_initial_reference("RootPOA") throws "omniORB:
> Error: Unable to create an endpoint of this description: giop:tcp::0".
>
> For example, the call works fine on Linux Fedora Core 4, RedHat AS4
> and CentOS 4.3 (all with kernel 2.6). However, the same binary fails
> with the error above on RedHat AS3 (kernel 2.4). I tested on several
> AS3s with the same result. The same application compiled against
> omniORB 4.0.7 works on all OSes.

The problem is due to the new support for IPv6. Did you compile omniORB
on the AS3 machine, or use the version compiled on one of the others?
The configure script tries to work out if IPv6 is supported, and only
compiles it in if the platform supports it.

If you did configure and build it on the AS3 machine, the configure
script obviously decided that you did have IPv6 support when in fact you
don't. If that is the case I'll have to add a configure option to
explicitly choose to disable IPv6.

As a temporary work-around, it will probably work if you use a command
line argument of -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:0.0.0.0: or put the equivalent
endPoint = giop:tcp:0.0.0.0: in the config file.