[omniORB] omniORB Authentication Methods

Stephan February stephan.february at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 07:02:32 BST 2006

On 10/12/06, Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 October, "Stephan February" wrote:
>
>    - Enforcing a single access point (based on a paper titled
> "Architectural
> > Patterns for Enabling Application Security")
> >      I am thinking that using Custom Servant Managers allows one to
> achieve
> > this.
>
> I'm not sure what that means. Can you explain?

The Single Access Point design pattern is explained  in this paper:
  http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/~hanmer/PLoP-97/Proceedings/yoder.pdf<http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/%7Ehanmer/PLoP-97/Proceedings/yoder.pdf>

In my implementation I intend to :
   a) Create my own POA
   b) Create a custom servant manager for POA in (a)
   c) Enforce Role Based Access Controls against (oid, operation) tuple in
the preinvoke() method
       of the servant manager. i.e. Refuse to return a servant object for
which a user does not
       have appropriate privileges.

Do you forsee any problems with this approach (other then that all my
servants *must* be registered with my "secured" POA).

Regards
Stephan