[omniORB] Why do oneway requests hang on disconnected network?

Sean Parker supinlick at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 15:40:33 GMT 2006

I thought that's what you'd say! :-)

In my spare seconds, I can take a look... let me know where
I should look first - for example: when a client app is
making a request on a stub, how does omniORB differentiate
between a oneway request (not needing a return value of
course) and one requiring a holding pattern waiting for a
reply?

Cheers
   Sean

--- Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:

> On Monday 27 November, Sean Parker wrote:
>
> > Any chance on implementing oneways as UDP messages?
> (This would be
> > ideal for setting up a work around in environments
> "hostile" to "slow"
> > protocols, although "unreliable").  Certainly, if I
> were to use
> > oneway's, it'd only be with the intent of optimizing
> some part of our
> > system for speed - something UDP would be a good fit
> for...  Of course
> > that'd require work to the internals of OmniORB to also
> listen on
> > another port for possible incoming UDP messages....
>
> It's not something mentioned in the CORBA specs, but
> there's no reason
> it couldn't be added as an omniORB extension. It would
> probably be quite
> a lot of work, since omniORB's transport system assumes a
> connection
> oriented protocol.
>
> If you want to work on it, let me know and I'll help you
> understand the
> relevant bits of omniORB's internals.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Duncan.