[omniORB] Multiple Addresses and NAT problem

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Nov 29 10:18:10 GMT 2006

On Thursday 23 November, "Hunt, Dave" wrote:

> Since then, I added NAT to both routers on the corba link, and changing this
> variable failed to work.
> I've tried using the endPoint and endPointNoListen variables; I've added my
> new external address to the network configuration of my XP machine,
> 172.16.156.122. I've tried starting the omniNames service thus :-
> omniNames -ignoreport -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:192.16.156.122:2809.

The problem is that 192.16.156.122 is not one of your machine's IP
addresses, but you have asked it to listen on that address. It can't
possibly do that. What you can do is tell it to publish that address in
IORs, even though it's listening on a different address. You use
-ORBendPointNoListen for that, or the new -ORBendPointPublish in omniORB
4.1.0.

You are still likely to encounter problems if you pass object references
backwards and forwards, however, since the endpoints you are publishing
are not valid everywhere. You may find it better to publish hostnames,
and use suitable hosts files or DNS set up to map names to addresses
appropriately.