[omniORB] Connection Threads and Configuration Parameters

Pat Pascal ppascal at verano.com
Tue Nov 28 14:00:52 GMT 2006

FYI,

I believe I have found an answer to my question.  It seems I need to
set the value of both "inConScanPeriod" and "outConScanPeriod" to 0,
for both the server and all the clients, in order to prevent all idle
connection threads from being closed.  Although it may seem obvious now,
I did not anticipate the interdependance of client and server connection
threads.

When reading the following comment under "inConScanPeriod":

#                    0 --> do not close idle connections.

I incorrectly assumed that just setting "inConScanPeriod" to 0 for the
server would keep it's incoming (yet possibly idle) connection threads
open until explicitly closed by non-omniORB client code, i.e. the
closing of the server side thread would be independent of the
"outConScanPeriod" for the client and the closing of it's (possibly
idle) connection thread.

As a suggestion to improve usability, it might be nice to extend the
config file comments and documentation to indicate the interdependence
of the client and server values for both of these two parameters.

Thanks,
Pat Pascal