[omniORB] Multiple Addresses and NAT problem

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Thu Nov 23 09:54:21 GMT 2006

Dave Hunt wrote:

> We have a PC on a LAN with two IP addresses; it connects to the WAN
via
> one router, and has a corba link to another network via a second
router.
> This second router applies Network Address Translation (NAT).
> We are using omniOrb 4.0.7 on a Windows XP platform.
> The link worked fine before we introduced NAT. I have experimented
with
> environment variable OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME, and more recently omniorb
> endPoint.
> Either the omninames server or the Servant program fail to come up
> (omniorb initialisation problems) dependant upon which things I
attempt
> to tweak (such as putting the port number of 2809 on the end of
endPoint).
> Does anyone have any ideas or examples of what should be done in these
> circumstances ?

Which side of the NAT router has its IP addresses hidden?  In which
direction(s) are you trying to do CORBA calls?

If you need a client to connect to an IP which is different from what
the server thinks its IP is, then you'll need to use the
endPointNoListen configuration option to tell the server to publish an
IP in IORs which is usable by the client.

http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omni40/omniORB/omniORB008.html#htoc101

If you need to do CORBA calls in both directions but your NAT router
only allows you to make TCP connections in one direction, then you
probably need to enable bi-directional GIOP:
    http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omni40/omniORB/omniORB008.html#toc43

Regards,
Luke.

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the
information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the
information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.