[omniORB] changing system clock

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu May 18 13:09:21 BST 2006

On Wednesday 17 May, "Geoffrey Hanson" wrote:

> Are you saying that all the other callers of
> get_time() do not have a problem when the system
> clock is changed?

No -- they will have a problem.

> For example, if I have a client timer set to, say
> 30 seconds, and I change the time backwards, would
> the client timer still time out after 30 seconds?

No, it will time out when the absolute time reaches the deadline set for
the call. I don't think this is an avoidable problem -- calls involve
doing multiple separate steps, all of which might time out. After each
step, you have to know how long the step took, so you can reduce the
timeout for the next step accordingly. The only general way to do that
is to look at the time, so if time jumps forwards or backwards, you're
in trouble.