[omniORB] Thread Priorities

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Mar 10 14:43:42 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 8 March, "Lolke B. Dijkstra" wrote:

> Duncan Grisby wrote:

[...]
> >No, there's no way to tell omniORB or omnithread to use a different
> >priority. There's no priority setting support in omnithread because it's
> >too variable between different platforms.

[...]
> Ehhh? What about  SEE class task : public omni_thread section

[...]
> public:                 enum priority_t { LOW_PRIORITY,
> NORMAL_PRIORITY, HIGH_PRIORITY };
>     task( priority_t p = NORMAL_PRIORITY )
>         : omni_thread( 0, (omni_thread::priority_t)p )

I was forgetting that omnithread had those priority related things.
They're largely useless, though, since the priorities are all equal on
the majority of platforms.

I do think it's best that applications that need to handle priorities do
it themselves with platform-specific calls, since anything that cares
enough to want to set priorities probably also cares about exactly what
each platform provides.