[omniORB] CORBA::TRANSIENT problem

Raheel Abdul Hameed raheel at wavetec.com
Sat Jul 1 18:45:28 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

I am using a GPRS based TCP/IP link using a GPRS modem. These GPRS networks seems to be a bit lossy due to radio / wireless interference.

On such links if we use CORBA calls, then sometimes these calls get lost and after the timeout, we get CORBA::TRANSIENT exception in return.

Just to bring you in context, I am working on a point-of-sales system that is a CORBA client and connects to a server to register sales, behind GPRS link that is hardly 19200 bps. The actual flow is like this:

1) name service stuff
2) getting controllerFactory
3) asking controllerFactory for individual controllers like sellController, payController, reportController etc.
4) at this point, we can make sellController->sell, payController->pay, reportController->getReport calls.

My question is simple and tricky, what to do if we get CORBA::TRANSIENT exception when we make a call to sell/pay, can we always retry the call ? or do we need to start from scratch (from step 1 above till step 4) .... this whole restart process is time consuming and hence prone to another CORBA::TRANSIENT exception if the wireless link gets lossy in between..... what is the quickest way to be able to make the sell/pay (step 4) calls.... without restarting the process.....??

I hope that i am clear in stating my problem. I'll appreciate any help. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Raheel Hameed