[omniORB] Specifying IP Ports?

Vladislav Vrtunski vladislav.vrtunski at dmsgroup.co.yu
Fri Jan 27 10:08:40 GMT 2006

W T Meyer wrote:
> Hello Vladislav,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply to my post on the omniORB mailing
> liist.  What you suggest looks like it will work for the server machine,
> but is there a way to force the client to use a specific port as well?
I am not sure what are you trying to do here. Does your client contain
some callback object as well in which case it is the server as well?
    Once you have specified endPoint for the server, this endPoint is
published in object reference so that clients can contact the server at
the specified IP and port number. Now, the trouble is that the reference
your client obtains from the Naming Service contains the IP address of
the server machine which makes no sense to the client since you are
using SSH tunneling to reach the server. So, the client knows the
correct port number to contact the server, but as far as the client is
concerned the IP address is invalid.
    You can solve this issue using endPointNoPublish parameter in which
you specify to the server where to listen for the client requests, and
endPointNoListen parameter where you specify the endPoint that will be
published in IOR's and that the clients will use to contact the server.
In your case, you should state here the IP address of the machine where
listening end of the tunnel is and of course the port number where the
server is listening and for which you created the tunnel.

I have never tried to achieve this, so please let me know if this does
the trick for you.

Regards,

Vladislav Vrtunski
DMS Group