[omniORB] issues with multiple orbs in a server gui app

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB at RJRT.com
Wed Jan 18 10:59:20 GMT 2006

> Ok, that clears some things up.  That makes me confused about a few
> other things however...
>
> How is it I can run m_pORB->run() for each window if in fact there is
> just one orb?  What is really happening when I call m_pORB->run() for
> each window?

Because the omniORB implementation of CORBA::ORB::run() doesn't really
do anything except wait for the orb to shutdown.  In fact, you don't
have to call this if you don't want but in order to be compatable
with other ORBs you might want to do "if (orb->work_pending())
orb->perform_work())" periodically from some thread.

> Again, I am pretty new to CORBA and can't claim I
> completely understand what is happening behind the scenes in terms of CORBA.

You should read Advanced CORBA Programming with C++, Michi Henning and Steve
Vinoski, section 11.11 "ORB Event Handling" page 506.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential, protected by the
attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-
public information. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients
is not authorized and may be unlawful.