[omniORB] issues with multiple orbs in a server gui app

Jason Dolan jason at pcc.com
Wed Jan 18 10:36:59 GMT 2006

Björn Hagemeier wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> please see my comment below.
>

> Regards,
>
> Björn
>
> Jason Dolan wrote:
>
>>Hello, I have this server gui application ( I'm using wxWidgets).  When
>>ever a new window is created I create a new orb using ORB_init(), create
>>a new thread, then run that newly created orb in that thread calling
>>run() on that orb.
>

> The CORBA standard does not require ORB_init to return a newly created
> ORB. In fact most implementations will always return only one. Thus, if
> you shutdown that single ORB, the other threads/windows can't access it
> anymore.

Ok, that clears some things up.  That makes me confused about a few
other things however...

How is it I can run m_pORB->run() for each window if in fact there is
just one orb?  What is really happening when I call m_pORB->run() for
each window?

Each window has it's gui thread plus a thread for the CORBA event loop.
  How do I break out of the CORBA event loop for an individual window if
I can't use m_pORB->shutdown(0)?

Thanks for your help.  Again, I am pretty new to CORBA and can't claim I
completely understand what is happening behind the scenes in terms of CORBA.