[omniORB] libraries and documentation

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Jan 9 16:05:17 GMT 2006

On Monday 9 January, "Lolke B. Dijkstra" wrote:

> I am totally in the dark with regards to what the various libs are
> intended for. Is there any documentation on the libraries and their
> purpose?
> The only thing I can safely guess is that the XYZd.lib are the debug
> eq. of the XYZ.lib.
> Have I missed something in the documentation?

The documentation of libraries for Windows is somewhat spread around.
I've just added the following to README.win32.txt, which should explain
what you need to know:

To link against the DLL versions of the omniORB libraries, you should
use the following libraries:

  omnithread31_rt.lib     -- omnithread library
  omniORB406_rt.lib       -- omniORB runtime library
  omniDynamic406_rt.lib   -- omniORB runtime library for dynamic features
  omniCodeSets406_rt.lib  -- extra code sets for string transformation
  omnisslTP40_rt.lib      -- SSL transport (if OpenSSL is available)
  COS406_rt.lib           -- stubs and skeletons for the COS service interfaces
  COSDynamic406_rt.lib    -- dynamic stubs for the COS service interfaces

If you are building your application code in debug mode, you MUST use
the debug versions of the omniORB libraries, otherwise you will get
assertion errors from the Visual C++ runtime about invalid heap
pointers. The debug DLL versions can be used by linking with the
_rtd.lib libraries instead of the _rt.lib libraries.

To link with static libraries, pick the libraries without _rt in their
names: omnithread.lib, omniORB4.lib, omniDynamic4.lib,
omniCodeSets4.lib, omnisslTP.lib, COS4.lib and COSDynamic4.lib.
Again, if you are compiling your application code in debug mode, you
MUST use the debug versions of the omniORB libraries, omnithreadd.lib,
omniORB4d.lib, etc.