[omniORB] user exception thrown client getsCORBA::SystemException

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Mon Jan 9 10:01:32 GMT 2006

Hi Lolke,

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 11:26 +0100, Lolke B. Dijkstra wrote:
> The client says:
> omniORB: LocateRequest to remote: root<0>
> omniORB: throw UNKNOWN from GIOP_C.cc:247 (MAYBE,UNKNOWN_UserException)
> Caught CORBA::SystemException.2:1330446337
> I try to catch the dicom.ObjectNotFound exception but the catch clause
> does not seem to work. Instead the SystemException is caught.
> Anybody knows why this is?

This sounds like you have not declared in IDL that your operation might
raise a dicom.ObjectNotFound exception.  CORBA::UNKNOWN is a subclass of
CORBA::SystemException which is thrown by the ORB when a servant throws
an unexpected exception.  "UNKNOWN_UserException" indicates that the
unexpected exception was a CORBA user exception (ie an exception which
you have declared in IDL).

Your servant is not allowed to raise any exception it likes;  it may
only raise one of the CORBA user exceptions listed in the "raises"
clause of the IDL definition of the operation (or it may propagate a
CORBA system exception).  You can find an example of the "raises" clause
in the file Naming.idl included with omniORB.  If you like reading the
CORBA specification, the relevant section is 3.13.3.

Regards,
Luke.

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the
information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the
information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.