[omniORB] Weird Connection Problems (cygwin & linux)

Brian Neal bgneal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:00:37 GMT 2006

Hi Duncan,

On 2/23/06, Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 February, "Brian Neal" wrote:
>
> > > Stringifying an IOR (using orb.object_to_string) and then unstringifying
> > > it (using orb.string_to_object) should produce an IOR which is exactly
> > > equivalent to the original.
> >
> > Sure, but is there something different about the IOR the cygwin app
> > gets from the name service on the radio versus me copy & pasting in a
> > stringified IOR that the radio app spits out?
>
> There's no difference. A stringified IOR is exactly the same data that
> is transmitted as part of a CORBA call, just converted to hex.

Yes, okay, I messed up. In the heat of battle I got confused. The
stringified IOR's are working just as well as the IOR's I got from the
name service.

> I think Luke is right that it's most likely the firewall that's blocking
> the call. You might try running everything with -ORBtraceLevel 25 to see
> information about the connections that are being made and so on.

Yes, that appears to be it. I dumped the cygwin server's IOR, and used
catior on that. I cannot telnet to the IP/port # in the IOR from the
radio. Thanks for these useful debugging tips.

BN