[omniORB] Re: Corba firewall traversal specification

Jonathan Biggar jon at levanta.com
Thu Feb 2 10:01:21 GMT 2006

Harri Pasanen wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2006 18:38, Jonathan Biggar wrote:
>
>>Last I heard the Firewall Traversal spec failed to progress
>>to a final standard at the OMG anyway.
>>

> I'm not too familiar with OMG standardization procedure, but
> why would it then apper in final adopted specifications:
> http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ptc/2004-03-01  ?
> Or does it still need to progress from adopted specification
> to a final standard?

Correct.  Final adopted means that it has been voted to be a standard,
but there's a "finalization" process from there that must complete
before it can become a published standard.  This requires a special task
force to issue a final report on the proposed standard and for there to
be interoperable implementations available.

A proposed standard can remain in "finalization" state for only so long,
otherwise it is dropped.

--
Jon Biggar
Levanta