[omniORB] vc_8 static build confusion

Jari Lappalainen jari.lappalainen at iki.fi
Fri Dec 29 10:02:58 GMT 2006

I've downloaded the windows build omniORB-4.1.0-x86_win32_vc8.zip
but now I have trouble linking my project against it.

My MSVC 8 project uses static runtime libraries but fails to link to
omniORB4.lib
(with LNK2005 error).

Using dumpbin utility, I can tell the omniORB4.lib link directives
include MSVCRT.lib,
which suggests dynamic linking.

Also, in the mk/platforms/x86_win32_vs_8.mk file it says:

MSVC_STATICLIB_CXXNODEBUGFLAGS       = -MD -EHs -GS -GR -nologo

while I would have expected -MT for static linking instead of -MD.

However, previous posts on this list suggest other people have used vc_8
with omniORB 4.1
and with static linking just fine.
(For example,
http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2006-December/028264.html.)

Next, I'll try changing the makefile and rebuilding.

Any comments are appreciated.

    Jari Lappalainen