[omniORB] CORBA versus Sockets

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Dec 14 16:49:07 GMT 2006

On Thursday 14 December, "Sander Steffann" wrote:

[...]
> > The problem is that people know and are comfortable with sockets.  Given
> > the above, are there still good arguments to be made in favor of CORBA?
>
> Given that all your data structures are XML text, I don't think that
> CORBA will be a lot of help for you. The things you will have to do
> yourself if you use sockets are:
> - Server thread management
> - Connection management

These are not necessarily trivial things to implement. It depends a lot
on what the requirements are, and how scalable it needs to be. If the
requirements are simple, it's probably easier to roll your own. If you
need complex thread and connection management, it may well be better to
make use of an existing framework like a good CORBA ORB.

Certainly, if it's already decided that your components pass around XML
messages for everything, the benefits of using something like CORBA are
quite marginal.