[omniORB] CORBA versus Sockets

Meding, Olaf Olaf.Meding at bruker-axs.com
Wed Dec 13 15:55:50 GMT 2006

We are having an internal debate over the use of CORBA versus sockets.
Please no flames here.

All packets are encoded in XML.  So the advantages of IDL go away.
Socket are available for most platforms / software development tools.
So no extra points for CORBA here either.  And we do not need any
failover type features.

In our environment there will be a single server written in C# running
on MS Windows XP.  However, there are multiple clients (written in C#
and Python) all connecting to the same server.  The server and the
clients sometimes run on the same PC and other times on different PCs.

The problem is that people know and are comfortable with sockets.  Given
the above, are there still good arguments to be made in favor of CORBA?

Many thanks for you insights.

Olaf