[omniORB] CORBA Design Questions

Meding, Olaf Olaf.Meding at bruker-axs.com
Wed Dec 6 10:40:50 GMT 2006

We are investigating using CORBA / omniORB / omniORBpy for an
application that controls hardware.  The client will send commands to
the server / hardware (that part is easy).

Here are the two parts I like some high level design advice on to get me
started.

*** First, how do I implement the server sending unsolicited status
information back to the client?

*** Secondly (and more importantly), how do I implement the client
sending an abort type command to the server?  The important part is that
the abort command needs to be send immediately (even if another command
or a response to a command potentially sending large amounts of data is
in progress).

There will be a single server but there can be multiple clients.

I have worked with CORBA and omniORB a few years ago, so I know the
basics.  Many thanks for your help to get me started.

Olaf