[omniORB] Invald nativeCharCodeSet ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8

balexander balexander at vt.edu
Wed Apr 12 15:20:29 BST 2006

I have recently built and installed omniOrb 4.0.7 on my machine (Intel based
Fedora 4). I did not have any problems getting omniOrb to build and install
but I can not get the examples to run. Specifically I am trying to get the
very first echo example to run. I have no problem building it but whenever I
run the executable I get the following:

----
omniORB: ORB_Init failed: Bad parameter (ISO-8859-1) for ORB configuration
option nativeCharCodeSet, reason: Unknown code set name
Caught CORBA::SystemException
omniOrb: Final clean-up
omniOrb: Deleted 0 nil object references and 0 other tracked objects.
omniOrb: Final clean-up completed.
----

I am using the code from the /src/examples/echo/eg1.cc.  My echo.idl file is
simply

----
interface Echo {
  string echoString(in string msg);
};
----

omniidl parses the file without errors; producing echoSK.cc and echo.hh.

My configuration file is the sample.cfg that came with omniOrb – but copied
to /etc/omniORB.cfg. I can change the nativeCharCodeSet parameter in that
file to ‘UTF-8’ (without quotes). The bad parameter line will show UTF-8 but
the error is identical otherwise.

I have changed the configuration file’s traceLevel parameter to 40 (and
uncommented the line) but the program’s output does not change.

Does anyone see what I missed?

Thanks for your help,
-Brian