[omniORB] Newbie, Access violation Calling OmniOrb Server from Delphi Client

JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen) jhje at novonordisk.com
Tue Apr 4 14:16:25 BST 2006

> I'm new to omniorb. I have installed omniorb 4.0.7 on
> win2k and successfully run the supplied echo sample
> (eg3_impl/eg3_tieimpl server and eg3_clt client).
> Next, I tried to call the server from client written
> in borland delphi (I know delphi usually use
> visibroker corba, not omniorb). Below is the code
> snippet :

Hi Si Sol.

First of all, you should use the Naming Service to get an Echo object
reference. The

  MyCorbaObj := TEchoHelper.Bind;

does not use that (at least I couldn't make it do so last time I tried
Visibroker). Secondly, you may have to start the omniORB Echo server
with

"lcdMode = 1"
"If true, select 'Lowest Common Denominator' mode. This disables various
IIOP and GIOP features that are known to cause problems with some ORBs."

I had to use that one with an earlier version of the Delphi MT_DORB ORB.

You could also try "strictIIOP default = 0"
"If true, be strict about interpretation of the IIOP specification; if
false, permit some buggy behaviour to pass."

If you have more Delphi-specific questions I think we should take those
offline so we don't bother the rest of the omniORB community with those.

Cheers
-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark