[omniORB] Exception trying to start new thread

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Mon Apr 3 13:06:00 BST 2006

Hi Radek,

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 18:32 +0200, radamkie at kdm.pl wrote:
> The platform is:
>
> OS:Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 5)
> Kernel:Linux 2.4.21-32
> Processor: Intel(R) Xeon 3GHz
> RAM: 2GB

I guess from your kernel name that you're running a 32-bit kernel; I
take it that this model of Xeon doesn't support the EM64T extensions,
which is a shame.

> #cat /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max
> 14336

In practice you will be able to create far fewer threads than this in a
single process using the default thread stack size, particularly if you
are running a 32-bit kernel.

You can see this using the attached c++ program; it will determine how
many threads can be created on your system using the default thread
stack size.

> Is a way to check how many threads are working in omniORB application ?

You could always attach to the process using gdb and type "info
threads".

I still believe that your problem is that omniORB is set to use too many
threads.  Have you tried limiting omniORB to using say 100 threads?
This should stop the error message.  For example you could try:

threadPerConnectionPolicy = 1
maxServerThreadPoolSize = 100
threadPerConnectionUpperLimit = 50
threadPerConnectionLowerLimit = 40

Regards,
Luke.

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the
information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the
information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.