[omniORB] Deadlock in omniORB 4.0.6 ?

Wernke zur Borg wernke.zur.borg at vega.de
Fri Oct 14 15:15:49 BST 2005

-- Resent due to message size limitation, attachment compressed /wzb --

Dear list,

I have to ask you for your urgent support once more. This issue is now
getting critical, so Duncan and all experts please try to help me - thanks
in advance!

During my ongoing investigation of failure reports concerning an omniORB
based application I have come across a process that has 99 threads waiting
on giopStream::sleepOnRdLock(). I guess that some limit was reached, and
that no more threads were dispatched. The omniORB version is 4.0.6.

The application was again blocked in a sense that expected upcalls were not
performed. Please note that this is a slowly running application with just a
few upcalls every so many seconds - therefore I believe this situation must
have accumulated over quite some time and I am suspecting a deadlock
somewhere. I am pretty sure that the real origin of the problem lies in the
application code, however I cannot see any upcall that would be blocking in
application code.

Unfortunately I do not have a core file but only a pstack printout, which is
attached to this posting. Please have a look - any hint will be appreciated
as to what could be the reason for this situation.

Thank you very much,
---
Wernke zur Borg
VEGA Informations-Technologien GmbH