[omniORB] basic ORB usage and Valgrind showing issue

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Mon Nov 28 16:59:31 GMT 2005

Hi Sean,

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 15:11 -0800, Sean Parker wrote:
> 2) Valgrind shows this error: (stuff snipped for brevity -
>  I'm retyping from another machine)
>
> <VALGRIND OUTPUT>
>
> 	Syscall param write(buf) points to unitialized bytes(s)
> 	  at ... write(in /lib/libpthread-0.10.so)
> 	  at ... omni_thread::start()

This error is being reported in the posix thread library rather than in
omniORB.

The omni_thread::start() method calls several functions in libpthread,
so you may need to add debugging info to omniorb to see which of these
calls is causing the error report.  I doubt it is a problem within
omniorb (if at all) though, as the code for omni_thread::start looks
pretty straight forward.

> 5) Also, a related question is:
>
> Is there a problem with initing the orb, getting
> NameService and registering
> things, and *then* activating the RootPOA? Could that cause
> other hidden issues
> that may not be accounted-for, but it works anyway, in
> violation of some
> intended ORB design/sequence?

This sequence is permissable.  The RootPOA's POA manager is initially in
the "holding" state, which basically means that requests to your CORBA
objects will be queued until you activate the RootPOA.

For details see section 11.3.2.1 of the CORBA spec, which you can
download from here:
http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/formal/corba_iiop.htm

Regards,
Luke.

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the
information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the
information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.