[omniORB] Help needed to interpret COMM_FAILURE

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Nov 25 16:26:17 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November, "Wernke zur Borg" wrote:

> >> giopStream::CommFailure from
> giopStream.cc:834(0,NO,COMM_FAILURE_UnMarshalArguments)
>
> I am trying to interpret the source code at that line but I am not 100% sure
> if the exception is thrown due to a timeout or to a remote disconnect. If
> this is a timeout condition, I would like to know which config parameter I
> can use to increase it. It is known that the line between server and client
> may sometimes become unstable, so to avoid these disonnections I would need
> to increase the stability with larger timeout values.

It's not a timeout. If it was, the exception minor code would be
TRANSIENT_CallTimedOut.

The COMM_FAILURE means the TCP connection was unexpectedly closed.
Possibly the network broke. Another alternative is that the server tried
to send something larger than the maximum message size (which is 2MB by
default), and therefore dropped the connection. You might learn
something by turning traceLevel 25 on on the server.