[omniORB] Has anyone used omniORB with MS "Services For Unix" (SFU)?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Nov 1 12:57:01 GMT 2005

On Monday 31 October, Alex Tingle wrote:

> I'm just embarking on trying to get an omniORB application to run on
> Windows Server 2003 with "Services for Unix" (SFU) installed.
>
> The compiler is GCC 3.3. The system identifies itself as "Interix 3.5".
>
> Has anyone any experience with this platform? Can I simply use the
> pre-built omniORB binaries, or do I have to compile from source? Would
> I be any better off if I used Microsoft's 'cl' compiler (from Visual
> C++) instead of the GCC that they ship?

The Windows binaries definitely won't work with gcc, because the ABIs
aren't compatible. Which compiler you use really depends on whether you
need to integrate with any other binary code, and if so which compiler
it uses.

Have you tried just running the configure script?  It probably won't
quite work because there are a few places that use the platform name to
decide things, and Interix isn't a known platform. Adding Interix as the
same as Linux or Cygwin will quite possibly work.