[omniORB] Starting omninames with -start option

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB at RJRT.com
Wed May 11 11:17:50 BST 2005

> I need to install omninames on several windows 2003 machines in an
> automatic way.
> I want to start omninames as a windows service using srvany.
> The service is started when the machine is booted.
> This means that I always want to start omninames with the
> option -start
> (I don't need to recover any context after reboot).
> But if I start omninames with the option -start and the log
> file already
> exists, omninames refuses to start ...

I still don't understand why your installation procedure can't:

1. If no log file exists, then run omniNames -start.
2. Install omniNames using srvany (without -start).

Or:

1. If a log file does exist then delete it.
2. run omniNames -start
3. install omniNames using srvany (without -start).

Or something similar.  If you really want to wipe out the
backing store everytime then why not write a simple wrapper
that deletes the log file then spawns omniNames -start?  Then
install that using srvany.

Your point about -start failing if the log file exists is
well taken.  Since we specified "-start" then we must want to
initialize the backing store so why not just wipe it out if
it exists.

Two problems I see with this are:

(1) Naive users might routinely put "-start" on the command
line since that always works.  That would defeat the purpose
of the backing store.  I'm not saying this isn't a valid way
to operate (always start clean upon restart), I just don't
think it the installation process (crude as is) should do this
without warning.

(2) I suspect there might be a lot of people that are used to
the way omniNames works as it is.  If you really want this behavior
then I wouuld suggest creating a new option that overwrites the log
file unconditionally.

Bruce

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.