[omniORB] Starting omninames with -start option

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB at RJRT.com
Tue May 10 11:12:57 BST 2005

> Why not simply overwriting the log file if the log file is already
> present? (that is however what is done when the log file is
> opened - it
> is always opened with the TRUNC option !)

No.  It reads the log file into memory if it exists and you don't use
"-start".  Then it appends to the end everytime there is a transaction
that modifies the naming tree.  Periodically, it checkpoints (renames
..log -> .bak and creates a new .log, etc.).  That doesn't sound much
like overwriting.  I'm not sure where the TRUNC option comes into play.
I'm guessing it is only used during check pointing to create a new
*.log file from scratch (which would actually be the *.chk (sp?) file
which eventually is renamed to *.log).

> This would allow starting the naming service with the option
> -start in
> all cases (first time or not).
>

> Note: at the moment, I am starting the naming service via a
> batch file
> which first delete the log file and then always start the
> naming service
> with the -start option.
> This works fine, but I would prefer to use a windows service.

You can certainly start it as a windows service.  Just take the
"-start" option off.  You really don't want to do that unless
there's a problem.  If you do you will loose all of your
contexts.  The whole point of maintaining the *.log and *.bak
files is that you want these contexts to "persist" between
incarnations of the server.

It might be nice not to have to run omniNames with -start the first
time (i.e., have a -start-if-needed or something). But then again,
I kind of like having the sanity check that the *.log file should
always exist under normal operation.

Bruce

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.