[omniORB] Re: What is needed to support IPv6?

Fox, Charles (Civ, ARL/CISD) cfox at arl.army.mil
Tue Mar 29 23:57:16 BST 2005

Thanks for the information.  A few questions.  First off, I would much prefer
to use the more standards complient getaddrinfo/getnameinfo interfaces
that can support IPv4 or IPv6 with almost exactly the same set of calls.
Of course, I've heard plenty of stories that it is not well supported on some
of the more exotic platforms that omniORB supports. (sometimes ambiguous if it
is reentrant for thread-safety) However, I could get a relatively quick
prototype up for Linux/Solaris that has a good chance of working on Windows and most BSD's too.
  The next issue is with the IOR itself.  From page 15-54 of the OMG IIOP spec
it seems that the IPv4 or IPv6 address seems to go into the 'host' field as a
regular string.  It also seems to say that the host could even be a DNS name,
but let's focus on stringified numeric addresses.  If this is the case, then
encoding IPv6 will simply be a matter of putting the stringified IP address
into the IOR stream, and we can get that using getnameinfo.
  Thanks also for pointing out the higher-level parsing used for both
corbaloc and the -ORBendPoint URI's.  I have a bunch more questions on the
internals of omniORB but I think we can start moving forward with this.
           -- Chuck