[omniORB] omniorbPY

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Mar 8 17:35:59 GMT 2005

On Saturday 5 March, "Srinivasan, Rajagopalan \(GE Healthcare\)" wrote:

> On a target system - when i try to run a simple python script using
> omniorb, I get an error message :
>
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/_omnipymodule.so: undefined symbol: _ZN3IOP25TAG_OMNIORB_PERSISTENT_IDE

Most likely, omniORBpy has picked up the wrong version of the omniORB
libraries.

> My target system did not have omniorbpy. I downloaded
> omniorbpy2.5. configured with prefix=/tmp/omniORB did a make and then
> make install.
>
> I moved entire dir tree from /tmp/omniORB to my target system under
> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
>
> Questions
>
> a) What exactly does the error message mean? I do have the symbol
> defined in a file libomniORB4.so.0.5

Run ldd on /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/_omnipymodule.so. I suspect
you'll see that it's linking against a different omniORB library than
the one you think.

> b) Is the method to get omniORBpy installed on a target machine a
> valid method?

No. You must configure it with the prefix you are going to install it
with. That's the point of the prefix.